Alabama G. I. Dependents’ Scholarship Program Provides Aid

The Alabama G. I. Dependents’ Scholarship program provides aid for dependent children, step-children, spouses, or the un-remarried widow/widower of eligible disabled veterans.

This nationally renowned program has been in place since 1947 that has provided education to thousands of dependents of Alabama’s veterans. The scholarship is awarded to undergraduate students attending eligible Alabama state-supported universities or a prescribed course of study at any state-supported technical school. The scholarship covers tuition, mandatory textbooks and instructional fees.

In 2016 the ADVA processed approximately 2,613 scholarship applications. Libby Waits of Titus is one of seven siblings who benefitted from using the scholarship program. “It was a blessing to be able to go to school and not incur debt. My parents could not afford to send seven children to school, but the scholarship program provided for all of our education. I still would have gone to college but would have taken out student loans,” she said. Ms Waits graduated from Auburn University with a degree in marketing and business administration in 2010 and now works for a software company in Atlanta. “I would encourage anyone who is eligible to apply for the scholarship. It erases the burden of starting out owing huge student loans.”

To be eligible, the veteran must have a 20 percent or more disability rating or have held the qualifying rating at the time of death, a former prisoner of war (POW), declared missing in action (MIA), died as a result of a service-connected disability, or died while on active military service in the line of duty. The veteran must also have been a permanent civilian resident of Alabama for at least one year immediately prior to the initial entry into active military service. Permanently service-connected veterans rated 100 percent who do not meet the above residency requirement may qualify after establishing proof of bona fide residency in the state of Alabama for at least five years immediately prior to filing the application for this program or immediately prior to his or her death if the veteran is deceased.

All veterans must have at least 90 consecutive days of active duty military service unless the veteran was released or discharged by reason of service-connected disability. Veterans must also left the service with an honorable discharge.

Interested veterans, or their family members should visit their county veterans’ service office for more information, or call 334-242-5077.